Nothing gets my hips swaying like a melancholy baritone. Saxophones immediately transport me to darkened alleyways glimmering with post-rain mystery. Cellos sound like the comfort and anxious energy of a small dark room. With my body rocking like a perpetual pendulum this week, here are five things I’m loving!
1. You Bred Raptors? I was introduced to a friend of a friend’s band this week who play experimental instrumentals under a name referencing Jurassic Park (albums include Grant, Hammond, Lex & Tim and Muldoon!). Obviously, I was way down for this. It’s three dudes who play a monster 8-string bass, drums and cello. They wear masks which change with each song. A lot of their stuff sounds like scores for unwritten cult films or video games. I highly recommend you check out them out!
2. I just bought this badass bodysuit and cannot wait to rock the hell out it.
3. Blackstar- Happy Birthday, David Bowie! Bowie hath gifted us with a new album today and I’m pretty much diggin’ it. I was lucky enough to score tickets to Lazarus, a stage production Bowie co-wrote inspired by The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis, so I got to hear Michael C. Hall sing some of these new songs with incredible Bowiesque precision a couple weeks ago. It was marvelous. Just a bloody brilliant piece of theater. Check out Blackstar, get tickets to Lazarus if you can and come to Bowie’s birthday party tonight at Rough Trade NYC.
4. Pocket Mortys. LOOK, guys. LOOK AT ALL THE MORTYS.
I’ve never gotten excited over a mobile game before and most of me still wishes this could be on steam or 3DS or ANY platform other than mobile… BUT this combines a game style I love with a show a adore so I’m going to allow it. Out next week on iOS and Android.
5. I got the criffiest crif dog ever.
Shut up. I go to the gym 5 days a week so I can eat bacon wrapped hot dogs smothered in peanut butter and topped with potato chips with a big ol’ side of cheesy tots. Some things are just worth it, guys.